Saturday, October 31, 2009
From my Beyond Health newsletter...
I thought is was an interesting take... they equated feeding sugar to children as a form of child abuse! ...Get the Sweet Facts here... check it out.
Stop Poisioning Children on Halloweeen !
Holidays, beginning with Halloween, bring with them lots of sugary treats, especially for children. Although refined sugar, a metabolic poison if ever there was one, has been widely available for little more than a century, sugary confections are now considered an essential, and innocent, aspect of holiday celebrations and a reward for childhood compliance.
"Visions of sugar plums" dance in the heads of sleeping children on Christmas Eve. An angelic Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins sings, "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, in the most delightful way!" Sugar symbolizes sweetness and light and all things good.
What a scam!!
If you want to be sure your child's immune system is shot for the flu season, let them have unrestricted amounts of sugar during the holidays!
Giving children sugar is, to my mind, a form of child abuse. Please read the article below from a previous Beyond Health News newsletter to understand why.
Children's supplements today are riddled with sugar. Most aren't worth much to begin with, and the sugar nullifies any benefit they might have offered. Our Children's Chewable Multivitamins stand out as a true quality supplement in an otherwise uninspiring landscape of supplements created for children. They have a natural sweet taste children love without the sugar that's so bad for them. Sugar is a Poor Choice . . . by Raymond Francis
Health is a choice. If you choose health, sugar is not an option. Sugar is a dangerous metabolic poison and a leading contributor to our epidemic of chronic disease. If we want to vastly improve health, one single choice we can make is to stop, or at least minimize, sugar consumption. The less you eat and the less frequently you eat it, the better off you will be.
Our biologic ancestors did not have access to sugars in the refined forms that exist today. Sugar was a rare commodity, found primarily in fresh fruits, or perhaps a batch of honey. Advents in technology brought forth the first sugar refineries during the Napoleonic period. At that time sugar was expensive, and average consumption was about 7 pounds per year.
By the end of the 19th century, sugar was affordable, and available to almost everyone. Since 1909, sugar consumption has increased by 70%. Americans now eat an average of about 150 pounds of sugar per year, up 25 pounds (20%) since 1970! In terms of caloric content, sugar makes up more than 25% of the average American's diet and up to 50% of some children's diets!
An empty calorie food with no nutritional value whatsoever, sugar is replacing valuable complex carbohydrates as a source of energy for humans. Historically we did not eat these refined sugars, and doing so throws the body into a chaotic state of disregulation.
Here's the problem: The human body was simply not designed to handle refined sugars. They bring about a deadly combination of malnutrition and toxicity. Refined sugar is new to the human diet, and people are eating an enormous amount of it -- almost half a pound per day! Feeding refined sugar to a human body is similar to burning high-octane aircraft fuel in an automobile engine. Impressive amounts of energy, but after a while, you damage the engine.
Metabolizing refined sugar is quite a challenge, but if forced to, the body will struggle to cope with it. This struggle causes serious disturbances, and after time, disease is the guaranteed result.
If sugar were introduced today as a new product, the FDA could not approve it. FDA approval requires that a product be safe. Evidence that sugar damages health is overwhelming. It has been associated with diabetes, tooth decay, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's and other diseases. In fact, the rise of chronic disease in modern societies has paralleled the rise in sugar consumption.
When these facts are examined, one might consider feeding sugar to children a form of child abuse... Instead, we give children sweets as a "reward" for being good!
Food is supposed to support life. Sugar will not support the life of humans, animals, insects, or even bacteria. Sugar really isn't food! Sugar requires specific nutrients in order to metabolize in the body. The refining process strips these nutrients from the source materials like sugar cane, so that metabolism requires the body to deplete itself. The body uses up its reserves, causing deficiencies of various B vitamins, magnesium, chromium, and other nutrients. Here are some examples of clinically significant sugar-related deficiencies:
· 20 psychotic teenagers, being unsuccessfully treated with psychotherapy and tranquilizers, were completely cured by vitamin B1 supplementation. Sugar had depleted their B vitamin reserves making them deficient and causing abnormal behavior. One can be sure there are tens of thousands of teens out there right now with similar problems.
· Chromium deficiencies have been linked to both excessive sugar consumption and heart disease. Coronary disease patients average twice the sugar consumption of healthier people, and have significantly less chromium in their tissues.
· Sugar and vitamin C use the same transport mechanism. Excessive sugar intake overloads this transport system and may cause vitamin C deficiencies.
· Sugar promotes bone loss and causes osteoporosis.
· Sugar inhibits the release of omega 6 essential fatty acids from storage in fat tissues, thereby contributing to essential fatty acid deficiency.
Metabolic Chaos: Heart Disease, Hypoglycemia & Immunosuppression
Sugar throws body chemistry into biochemical chaos lasting for six to eight hours after consumption. During this period, hormone, fat, carbohydrate, and protein metabolism are greatly disrupted.
After consumption, refined sugar is rapidly absorbed by the body, which dangerously increases the sugar content of the blood. Excess sugar causes production of excess insulin, which signals cells to take up sugar. Cells then absorb sugar, to get it out of the bloodstream. This solves one problem but creates another: Now the body's cells have too much sugar. To correct this imbalance, cells turn the sugar into saturated fats and cholesterol.
This brings us to heart disease. In terms of heart disease, eating sugar is similar to eating saturated fat, only much worse because sugar creates a lot of other problems. Increased insulin levels not only tell the body to store fat, but they also tell it not to release fat. This makes people get fat and stay fat. It causes fat to be deposited in our cells and organs, resulting in atherosclerosis, fatty liver and kidneys, and obesity.
These fats cause blood cells to become sticky thereby increasing the chances of blood clots, strokes and heart attacks. Sugar increases "bad" LDL cholesterol, decreases "good" HDL cholesterol, and increases triglyceride levels in the blood. If antioxidant vitamins and minerals are deficient, these triglycerides can be oxidized causing serious health problems. In addition, red blood cells are choked by the saturated fats and this reduces their ability to carry oxygen to our tissues.
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is another problem caused by sugar consumption. When insulin is secreted into the blood, it makes blood sugar levels fall rapidly. Insulin levels remain high however, so the body continues to take up sugar beyond the point where it needs to. The result is hypoglycemia. Symptoms include weakness, dizziness, crying spells, insomnia, aggression, and depression.
Sugar in breakfasts or lunches can cause children to do poorly in school. They become hypoglycemic about 60 minutes after eating sugar and this affects brain function. Many teachers claim that their students are "brain dead" after lunch, and this is why.
Sugar-induced hormone imbalances tax and weaken the immune system to the point where it can no longer defend the body. When insulin causes blood sugar to fall excessively low, the adrenal glands secret hormones that pump blood sugar back up. Daily consumption of sugar causes an overworked biochemical balancing act resulting in adrenal exhaustion, which in turn decreases the body's ability to respond to future stress. Adrenal exhaustion is now a common problem in the chronically ill.
Sugar quadruples adrenaline levels, while increasing both cholesterol and cortisone. Cortisone is known to depress immune function. Studies show that the ability of white cells to destroy harmful bacteria is reduced as sugar consumption rises. This is why children, who eat lots of sugar, are more susceptible to colds, flu, and other infections.
Humans were designed to derive energy from complex carbohydrates, which are naturally high in fiber. By contrast, a high sugar diet provides calories without the fiber that is essential to human health. Insufficient fiber causes materials to move too slowly through the digestive tract. This can cause constipation, which is a big problem in our society. It also causes waste to remain too long in the colon where it can serve as food for harmful bacteria, thereby producing gas and toxins, and promoting intestinal inflammation and bloating.
· Fiber has been shown to remove toxic and carcinogenic substances from our bodies.
· Lack of fiber leads to toxic absorption and excessive stress on the liver.
· Fiber binds to hormones like estrogen and removes them from the body. Without fiber, the estrogen may be reabsorbed and excess estrogen is known to promote breast and prostate cancer.
· Fiber slows down the rate of sugar entry into the blood stream, so foods like sweet fruits are suitable and healthy alternatives to refined sugar.
· Fiber has been shown to improve diabetes control because high fiber diets greatly reduce the need for insulin.
· Human volunteers who were fed sugar experienced a rise in cholesterol levels plus a marked increase in blood pressure.
· Laboratory animals died sooner when sugar was added to their diet.
· Rats fed a high sugar diet did less physical work, were unable to reproduce as well, and had shortened life spans.
· Other animal experiments concluded that refined sugar "causes serious disturbances in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism," and caused diabetes in the animals.
· People who have little contact with refined sugar have virtually no tooth decay.
· The saturated fats produced by sugar metabolism cause pimples, acne, senility, and heart disease.
· A high sugar diet increases the severity of premenstrual syndromes in college women.
· Sugar feeds cancer cells causing them to grow faster and has been linked to colon, kidney, prostate, breast, rectal, ovarian, uterine, and nervous system cancer.
In our society, staying away from refined sugar is no easy task. Sugar is added to most processed foods and many food labels list sugar under more than one name. This can be confusing to the consumer. Look for sugar under names like sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, maltodextrin, raw sugar, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, honey, rice syrup, corn syrup, maple syrup, concentrated fruit juice, and barley malt.
Sugar in whole fruits is acceptable, but not so in fruit juices because the lack of fiber allows rapid absorption of the sugar.
Deficiency and toxicity are the two causes of disease, and sugar is a leading contributor to both. This is why sugar is a major cause of our modern epidemic of chronic, degenerative diseases.
Read labels carefully and avoid sugar as much as possible. Most especially, don't feed sugar to children.
The dangers of eating sugar were even known to the ancient world. In the Bible, Proverbs 25:27 says, "It is not good to eat too much honey." We seem to have forgotten this ancient wisdom.
Raymond Francis is an M.I.T.-trained scientist, a registered nutrition consultant, author of Never Be Sick Again and Never Be Fat Again, host of the Beyond Health Show, Chairman of the The Project to End Disease and an internationally recognized leader in the field of optimal health maintenance.
Keep Your Child's Immunity Strong this Winter
Start by eliminating The Big Four... I find when I lecture that even people who've read and say they love my books are still eating "The Big Four:" sugar, refined flour, processed oils and dairy/excessive animal protein! Often they want to know if I've approved the latest supplement fad, or they want a special solution to an exotic symptom.
Folks, don't make it more complicated than it is. The best single thing you can do for your health is ELIMINATE THE BIG FOUR.
Likewise, the biggest single thing you can do for your children is GET THE BIG FOUR OUT OF THEIR DIETS. I know you're bucking the tide here, especially when it comes to sugar, but your child's health is worth it.
With a good diet of plenty of fruits, vegetables and other whole foods, our Children's Chewables, some extra vitamin C, and 1-3 teaspoons of cod liver oil (one for a toddler; three for an adolescent) a day, you can keep your child well this winter while building health and good health habits for a lifetime.
P.S. Some of you may remember taking cod liver oil when you were a child as an unpleasant experience. This was probably because most cod liver oil back then was rancid and had a fishy taste. Our cod liver oil has a mild taste that most children don't mind. However if it's difficult to get your child to take cod liver oil, give them our liquid Vitamin D3 instead. One drop contains 500 IU of Vitamin D, approximately the equivalent of 1 tsp. of cod liver, which contains 400 IU. Cod liver oil, however, is preferable because it supplies essential fatty acids and Vitamin A, another nutrient important to immunity, in addition to Vitamin D.
We are always looking for your feedback on how we can help you improve your health or if you'd like to see something special in our newsclips. If you would be so kind as to let us know how we can help you reach your Ultimate Health goals, send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, October 23, 2009
current conscious topic:
cancer cured naturally... a true story. my friend Tom's prostate cancer cure story and all natural protocol from sanoviv
consciously creating awareness
“what is needed is some person, some institution, some inescapable “force” that captures the imagination of our citizens and demonstrate that cancer and other diseases will be eliminated only when each of us comes to understand that this can only occur as a part of a lifelong process of sanity, balance, moderation, and self respect.”
- Dr. Charles Simone M.MS.,M.D. http://drsimone.com/
conscious medicine... is preventative medicine
- do you know what functional medicine is? The Institute of Functional Medicine, IMF … changing they way we do medicine
- dr simone's ten point plan to decrease your risk of cancer and heart disease cancers incld; breast, endometrial, prostate, colon, and rectal
- alkalize or die... the pH nutrition guide to acid/alkaline balance
- why sanoviv? ... no place like it in the world. the hospital of the future.
- what to expect at sanoviv... my sanoviv program and the sanoviv diet
- cancer cured naturally… a true story. my friend Tom's prostate cancer cure story and all natural protocol from sanoviv medical institute.
- russian roulette anyone? cancer odds & treatment risks
- have you ever googled for a natural remedy and cure and the "quackwatch" site popped up???? well.... pssst… quackwatch is quackery… pass it on!
- what is codex alimentarius? If you don’t know we’re in BIG trouble!
conscious eating... is eating for living
- the best superfood choice, green foods. understand exactly what is good, very good, better, best, and the very best ... it’s your choice
- conscious eating... raw foods; easier and better than cooking. if you say it is hard... it will be hard and if you say it is easy it will be easy because... what you believe becomes your truth
- cook with out cooking - raw recipes and inspiration by adam sobel
- hemp… eat it don’t smoke it. raw organic shelled hemp seed, the single item i can not live with out... delicious and PACKED with protein and omegas!
- move over eggs & bacon... make room for a healthy conscious breakfast. my weekend special scramble
- living without - consciously substituting for eggs, dairy, gluten & refined sugar for all of your cooking and baking.
- hey coffee drinker... consciously choose something better, the delicious health alternative. Dandy Blend - this is actually better tasting than coffee & good for you!
- 99% guilt free chocolate ganache cake - this one is the BEST... from the down to earth chefs & the "you won't believe its vegan" cookbook.
- Got gas??? Food combining… one of these thing does not go with the other. read this instead if medicating your symptoms with tums or other medicines
conscious detox... is natural and builds your immune
- healthy water healthy body - my water filter choice... I LOVE IT!
- when people say you are full of it.. it may be true if you do not go every time you eat. which means... clean out your ears and open your eyes… even better… clean out your colon. a colonic is the safest most natural and best way to start the cleansing process. read hear for all of your questions you could possibly have on colonics.
- the detox miracle sourcebook... literally the bible for natural detox immune building diet. the book is A to Z and doesn't skip a beat.
- if you have amalgam fillings... toxins are going directly into your bloodstream if you don't get that metal out of your mouth!
- bouncing magic... a simple and quick and easy way to cleanse every cell in your body. visualize for a moment a balloon filled with water. hold the balloon by its stem and observe how gravity pulls on the water, slightly stretching the balloon. now move your hand rapidly up and down and observe how the extra gravitational force causes the balloon to significantly stretch and distort. when you bounce up and down on a rebounder, this is what happens to every cell in your body.
- chi-force living the 7 disciplines... one on my daily conscious choices
- want the best work out? .....get a kettlebell. works more muscles than you knew you had.
consciously non toxic... it means through out... non toxic body, mind, spirit, home, and environment. it is your choice choose wisely.
- do you know the EWG? it is the Environmental Working Group who uses the power of public information to protect public health and the environment. rate your products... how toxic is your shampoo, lotion, shaving cream, and even your make up!
- the dirty secrets of what makes you clean... know that when you brush your teeth with toothpaste it has pesticides in it. read more shocking beauty secrets!
- more compost less work... and less waste environmentally and naturally fertilize your garden.
- our planet in our hands... when doing home improvements... consciously choose your paint not just the color!
conscious resources... know the truth & consciously choose
the china study - on the top of the pyramid of health books the one has 27 YEARS or research backing its studies. by cornell university nutritionist t. collin
the detox miracle source book literally the bible for natural detox immune building diet. the book is A to Z and doesn't skip a beat.
cancer confidential You don't need to have or have had cancer to benefit from this info. In fact, you can prevent it in advance by your lifestyle choices.